Delaware & Hudson Timeline
March 13, 1823 - Pennsylvania State Legislature authorizes the Wurtz Brothers to canalize the Lackawaxen River
April 23, 1823 - New York State passes act incorporating the "The President, Mangers and Company of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Co."
March 8, 1824 - Philip Hone elected as first President of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Co.
April 5, 1826 - Pennsylvania State Legislature authorizes construction of a railroad from Carbondale to Honesdale
August 8, 1827 - Stourbridge Lion makes history as the locomotive to run on rails in the United States
September 9, 1827 - Second run of the Stourbridge Lion confirms fears that the locomotive is too heavy for the track as built.
January 8, 1831 - New York State Assembly authorizes the Incorporation of the Saratoga and Schenectady Railroad.
April 14, 1832 - Rensselaer and Saratoga Railroad Company incorporated by special act of the New York State Legislature.
January 6, 1847 - Delaware and Hudson selects John Roebling to build three suspension aqueducts to widen and improve the navigability of the canal.
1851 - Albany & Susquehanna Railroad Incorporated to build from Albany to Binghamton, NY.
May, 1867 - Delaware and Hudson petitions State of New York to amend it's charter to include all rights and privileges accorded to railroads.
September 2, 1868 - D&H enters into contract to build a railroad (Jefferson Railroad Co.) North out of Carbondale to connect with the Erie at Lanesboro, PA
February 24, 1870 - Albany & Susquehanna Railroad enters perpetual lease with the Delaware and Hudson
May 1, 1871 - Rensselaer and Saratoga leased by the Delaware and Hudson
Sept. 23, 1883 - Brotherhood of Railroad Brakemen formed in Caboose #10 in Oneonta Yard. This organization blossomed into the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen on October 23, 1889.
June 13, 1899 - Abandonment of the Canal
November 5, 1902 - Adirondack Railway Co. officially merged with the D&H
April 9, 1907 - Napierville Junction Railway Purchased by the D&H
1940 - First Purchase of Challengers
1943 - Purchase of 15 Northerns
1944 - Purchase of the first 2 diesels on the D&H (Alco S2's #3000-3001)
1946 - Last Purchase of Challengers
1953 - Last Steam retired on the D&H
1968 - Arrival of the 4 remaining Alco PA's
1968 - D&H Placed under the control of N&W via Dereco
1972 - Damages caused by Hurricane Agnes put the Erie-Lackawanna into receivership, dissolving Dereco
August, 1974 - Arrival of the two RF16 Sharks
April 1, 1976 - Creation of Conrail, conveyance of locomotives, rolling stock & trackage rights to the D&H
1978 - Departure of the C628's, U30C's, SD45's & PA's to Mexico
April, 1978 - Sale of Sharks to Private Owner
January 5, 1984 - Completion of Purchase of the D&H by Guilford Industries
June 20, 1988 - Placement of the D&H into receivership by Guilford
1990 - Purchase of the D&H by Canadian Pacific